Monday, April 11, 2011

school bans homemade lunches

chicago school bans homemade lunches

anyone else see this on yahoo?
only a child who has a food allergy can bring in a meal. my older son has the choice of buying or taking lunches from home. he's lucky and has no allergies. he chooses to take 99% of the time. so, i got him a thermal container. can have hot or cold lunches. why? he comes home with horror stories: today for lunch they had fish sticks, a roll and carrots.
i can see banning junk food. but, a lot of kids bring perfectly healthy lunches. both my boys schools ban soda, fast food and the like.

3 comments:

  1. This is sooooooo disturbing. I don't understand how officials could think that some of the horrible school lunches I heard about could be superior to homemade ones. I agree that schools should just ban junk food. Just stopping by from S-B Follow My Blogger Swap. You can visit me at http://www.vanillaperv.blogspot.com <3 Vanillaperv

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am from the swap bot follow my blogger swap.....
    this is crazy and disturbing! School lunches these days are sad....I grew up in a small town and we had the most amazing school lunches! come visit anytime! melinda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah this would drive me crazy! My kids have a choice like your son, no junk food allowed and deffo no soda. In France no one was allowed to bring their own lunch - which was a major PITA as my eldest is vegetarian and the French don't do vegetarian (they allowed her to bring a boiled egg to eat with the non meat side dishes they prepared!), aside from that though, they provided an incredible 3 course meal every day and my younger daughter loved it. I joined them for lunch one day and was very impressed!

    ReplyDelete